PHP Backend DeveloperVenture Capital-Backed InsureTech Startup
The Job: A PHP backend engineer is needed to join the team and immediately take ownership of a WordPress-powered marketing website. You will also contribute to and help shape the future of their game-changing commercial insurance platform. Initially, you will be tasked with building new features as well as maintaining existing features on a marketing website using clear, concise, and scalable code.
The Company: This VC-backed startup is focused on helping small and medium-sized businesses purchase and manage business insurance. They create technology to make inefficient insurance-related processes like quoting and underwriting light-years faster while delivering customers with a delightful, modern and familiar user experience.
This client is also an equal opportunity employer dedicated to investing in and fostering an inclusive and diverse team. They offer very competitive compensation including medical, dental, and vision paying 99% of the employee and 50% of the family premium. They have a generous vacation policy and a significant work from home policy that extends beyond the current COVID Pandemic.
Skills / Experience
- 3+ years of professionally implementing features and resolving bugs in PHP 7.0+.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience. Self-taught engineers are welcome.
- Strong coding fundamentals and a demonstrated track record of high-quality engineering.
- Deep understanding of RESTful APIs and page lifecycles.
- Extensive experience with WordPress development.
- Comfort with front end languages like jQuery, Vue, and SCSS/SASS as bonus points.
- Experience with Laravel as even more bonus points.
- Working knowledge of using a Dockerized environment.
- Understanding of Git, agile, and CI/CD concepts.
- A passion for code and learning new skills.
- Work flexibly in a startup environment which may require wearing multiple hats.
- Keep up to date with latest practices, framework updates, and rapidly changing technical landscapes.
- Communicate advanced concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Work effectively in an agile environment.
- Own and maintain a mission-critical repository.
- Participate in discussions and review of wireframes, mockups, story grooming, and sprint planning.
- Author detailed documentation describing complex systems and methodologies.